It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:14 am

» Feed - Atomicorp

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: ASL Blocking Mail Attachment/FTP Upload
Unread postPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 2:59 pm 
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Hi,

I exported a table of data from phpMyAdmin into a zip archive to forward to a client and noticed a few hours later (in the qscan/quarantine.log) that the e-mail was not delivered as the attachment (mysql table archive) contained a reference to fastbrowsersearch.com:
Code:
*** Qmail-Scanner Quarantine Envelope Details Begin ***
X-Qmail-Scanner-Mail-From: "me@mydomain.com" via myserver.com
X-Qmail-Scanner-Rcpt-To: "client@theirdomain.com"
X-Qmail-Scanner: 2.08st (clamdscan: 0.96.1/11086. spamassassin: 3.2.5. perlscan: 2.08st.  virus Found. Processed in 27.156146 secs) process 19325
Quarantine-Description: ASL.MalwareBlacklist.fastbrowsersearch.com.UNOFFICIAL
*** Qmail-Scanner Quarantine Envelope Details End ***

An attempt at FTP upload yielded the same error... Some automated/batch scripts export/archive data and e-mail it to clients/myself. Is there a way around this? I guess it's not strictly a false-positive... Is there a way to report these issues?

Thanks

Post subject: Re: ASL Blocking Mail Attachment/FTP Upload
Unread postPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 5:53 pm 
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

A zip file with a password is usually a way around scanning...

Unread postPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 9:47 pm 
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

biggles wrote:

Thanks for the suggestion, but export of password protected archives is not a possibility in this case (unless someone knows how to enable this feature in phpMyAdmin?) and I don't really want to re-write the other scripts to password protect files which don't need it... The recipient of the archive doesn't need the hassle of remembering a password either.

Unread postPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 12:15 am 
Atomicorp Staff - Site Admin

You can report all support issues to:

support@atomicorp.com

No easy way to say when a malicious domain is "safe". The signatures trigger on an actual URL, such as http://www.badsite.com, so its not triggering on something more benign like www.badsite.com, or just badsite.com. There is special logic to detect cases when we *know* its benign, such as in OSSEC reports, certain log files, etc. So if you have a case like that just send the format and we could see about creating an exclusion. Send on the file if you don't mind and we can take a look.

Another option is to create a local clamav exclusion list, which would then allow anything on your system to server up that domain, and would allow anyone to upload anything referencing that domain. Not recommended as the domains we put out are known malware/spyware sites, so that would be opening a pretty big hole in the system.

Co-Author of Troubleshooting Linux Firewalls.

Unread postPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 3:26 am 
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Kalimari wrote:
biggles wrote:

Thanks for the suggestion, but export of password protected archives is not a possibility in this case (unless someone knows how to enable this feature in phpMyAdmin?) and I don't really want to re-write the other scripts to password protect files which don't need it... The recipient of the archive doesn't need the hassle of remembering a password either.

Sorry, I misunderstood. I thought you manually downloaded the file and e-mailed to the customer. If that would have been the case you could just have added a password and e-mailed it without clamav interfering.

Unread postPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 5:16 am 
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Mike: Don't want to go down the route of exclusion lists. Most of the batch processes/mailings are related to stats and traffic so there'd be far too many variables to manage anyway.

biggles: No problem, thanks for the suggestion anyway, its probably the best solution. I'll have to research a way of password protecting server archives before mailing. I find phpMyAdmin really useful for quick export of ad-hoc sql queries (some large output files when uncompressed) without resorting to command line. Maybe investigate the possibility of omitting a specific domain or outbound e-mail account from AV scanning (blurgh!) or better still write a script to monitor a local folder and auto archive and password protect whatever gets dropped there.

...sound of sleeves rolling up...

Unread postPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 5:19 am 

Quote:
Mike: Don't want to go down the route of exclusion lists. Most of the batch processes/mailings are related to stats and traffic so there'd be far too many variables to manage anyway.

I understand complete. If you don't mind sending in the file to support@atomicorp.com we might be able to write logic into the clamav rules to not trigger on this specific case (because it doesnt sounds like its harmful, its just in the file and probably benign). Make sure you put a password on the file though. ;-)

Co-Author of Troubleshooting Linux Firewalls.

» Feed - Atomicorp